Updated on March 14, 2023
The Ironman marathon is a triathlon race that includes swimming, bike racing, and running. Over 96 thousand athletes from ninety countries register themselves for the marathon each year. Winning this marathon is a challenge because it requires a lot of stamina. Athletes need to cover a total of 140.6 miles in three different stages. Are you also one of those people who are interested in this marathon and want to win it at any cost? To find amazing tips on how to nail the ironman marathon keep on reading this article.
How To Nail The Ironman Marathon
Firstly, athletes go for a 2.4-mile swimming competition, then a bike race of 112 miles, and lastly they run for 26.2 miles. As this marathon is based on different games to test the strength and athletic power of the players, you need to be a pro in every stage to stand out among all other players.
Related Article: Bikes for 300 Lbs Women
So if you want to nail the ironman marathon then follow the tips discussed below:
Tips To Nail The Ironman Marathon
No doubt covering the whole distance of the ironman marathon in a decent amount of time to defeat others is a great challenge. This marathon is only possible if the athlete is strong as well as fast. Therefore, players need to manage time with the distance to be a winner of the ironman marathon. As we all know practice makes a man perfect so you should start the training at least 3 months before the actual event’s date.
- Start with running for 60 minutes after your long rides. You can repeat this 2-3 times every month. Running after a long ride will help you in boosting your bike strength i-e stages 2 and 3 of the ironman marathon.
- In the last 3 months start practicing cycling and increasing the elevation after every 10 miles. This elevation gain will help in ironman marathon tracks eventually.
- Start practicing with a bike time of 1 to 2 hours and slowly increase it to avoid any fatigue or muscle cramps. This will help your body to endure 4 to 5 hours of climbing with a bike in the final 12 weeks.
- Focus on improving your running speed by covering the distance in less time. You can practice this by finishing a maximum of two long trail runs in a month. Keep in mind to never run more than 2.5hrs in the last 16 weeks to train yourself for the long run.
- Instead of going for shorter or longer runs on and off you should gradually increase the riding distance. You don’t need to overstress yourself, two or four rides of about 75-85 miles are enough to make a major improvement in the final month.
- Food intake is as important as the training itself. To avoid any gastric issues during training and marathon days reduce the solid food intake by 15%.
- Practice cycling after swimming to increase your chances of winning. One-hour of cycling practice twice a month is a must. You can consume fluids after 5 minutes and solids after 25 minutes of practice.
- If you are facing issues in swimming or cycling it’s better to hire a coach to improve yourself by learning cycling and swimming techniques.
- For better training, it’s best to practice on the same or similar-looking race course to ensure that your legs are used to the actual track which will reduce your time and increase your pace to a great extent.
- Always wear something comfortable that doesn’t trouble you during running or cycling.
Keep in mind to never compare yourself during the marathon to others. Focus on your plan and the training you got in the past few months. For better results, you should train yourself exactly according to the ironman marathon race. Getting a good pace is a key to winning the race. That is why experts advise improving the pace by breaking the session during the ironman marathon training period.
- Always remember to never start running immediately after stepping off the bike. Give a few seconds to your body to get ready for the run.
- Make a pace plan and stick to that strictly to win the marathon. Always consider the first half as a preparatory stage for the other half. Your pace plan should allow you to gain time in the first half and lose some in the second half.
- While you are making a plan, also consider the weather changes that will affect the race course. Try to implement the variations when needed.
Stay Mentally Focused
- To increase your focus and mental strength take help from counting in your head, repeating your favorite poem, song, etc. This is important to keep your mind focused and stress-free.
- You should never ignore possible negative encounters that may occur during the marathon. Try to be mentally prepared and answer the negative thoughts that will pop up during that time.
- It’s better to break the whole marathon or racing course into small manageable tasks. If you practice this during training you will feel no difficulty during the actual event without getting stressed.
Adjust According To The Weather
Try to train yourself in conditions that will be similar to the environment of a marathon place. This will help you in quickly adapt to the specific conditions of the area you will be racing in. It is suggested to practice in the same environment at least two weeks before the actual race. This will help your body to get used to the weather conditions of the racing area.
Related Article: Can I Go Through a Carwash with a Bike Rack
If you can’t find a training place that matches the environmental condition of the marathon then try to create such conditions artificially. For example by putting on more clothes in case of hotter conditions and practicing in lower AC temperature to adapt to the colder racing condition.
- To keep your body hydrated during the training add some fluids that fulfill your body’s sodium requirement.
- Never heat stress your body as it may cause hyperthermia.
The Technique Is Your Best Friend
The former winners IM Lanzarote and Lucy Charles shared their techniques that I will share here in a while. This will also help you in maintaining your technique during the race. According to them, having a practice session on the hill every week will increase your strength greatly. Speed is the key to winning the race.
- A tested tip is to run on your toes this will increase your pace as well as your winning chances.
- Increase your training session so your body does not get tired easily during the race. The more you practice the stronger your muscles will get.
- Try to map down everything that the race course involves, especially the aid stations. This will help you in getting there sooner in case of any emergency.
- For a better running time, a smart player will pace the bike ride wisely. A wise piece of advice is to eat and drink enough before the run so you get the energy as well as your stomach will not feel heavy when you get off your bike and start running.
- Try to eat little by little like some gels or blocks while you are running so you don’t run out of energy or feel dizzy from a heavy workout.
- Grab some salt capsules or salty food to maintain the hydration level of your body.
- For a quick recovery from the dropping sugar level of your body take a few sips of flat coke.
How can I improve my Ironman marathon?
To improve yourself in the ironman marathon you should have good bike strength, run longer tracks, and you should be able to do transition runs quickly.
Related Article: E Bike Vs Mountain Bike
What does an Ironman do to your body?
The ironman marathon is legit hard that comes with several physiological challenges. These include dehydration, temperature regulation, fatigue, muscle injuries, and an exhausted body.
Do you eat during an Ironman?
This marathon requires a lot of stamina and drains body energy quicker than other marathons. So to maintain the nutrition, energy, and hydration level of the body athletes intake about 60-90 grams of carbohydrates every hour. Of course you will not consume all of these at once rather split them up into small portions.
The ironman marathon is one of the hardest marathons and needs a lot of practice to make yourself a star of the race. Just like other games, you can try using some techniques during your practice sessions to be a winner of the ironman marathon. So if you want to know how to nail the ironman marathon then follow these tips
- Increase your muscle memory to improve your bike strength and better running time
- Maintain your nutrition don’t let your body get dehydrated or run low on sugar level
- Stay mentally strong to keep your brain stress free
You can use the tips mentioned in our articles to be an ace in every stage of the Ironman marathon. The best way to nail the ironman marathon is by practicing to a level that it becomes your muscle memory and you will face no difficulty during the main event. Thank you for reading our article I hope you like our content.
Austin Jacobs is a passionate cycling enthusiast who has over five years of experience in bike repair and maintenance. He is an avid mountain biker and loves tinkering with bikes for hours on end to make sure they are running at their optimum performance level. Leland’s blog, which focuses on bike repairs and tips to keep them in good running order, was created out of a desire to share his knowledge and help fellow cyclists stay safe while enjoying the outdoors. He covers topics such as preventive maintenance, troubleshooting common issues, basic tools and supplies needed for repairs, and more.